Monday, August 25, 2008

Cycle of life

It's been almost six years since I was packing her wedding dress and other items she had left in her room. She had returned from her honeymoon and was settling in her new house in another city. The house felt cold and empty, just like when she left for college. I kept gathering items to ship to her new home, and my thoughts traveled to those childhood years, when she would return from school, hugging me tenderly, showing me her latest project or looking forward to making a snowman. She would have her snack and watch "Shera, the Princess of Power," (when she and her sisters got a little older, TV was prohibited before homework) do her school work, and then it was playtime with her tape recorder, pretending she was a disc jockey, interviewing her sisters on a radio show. Dinner would be simmering on the stove, while I heard the laughter and the games from the three daughters going on upstairs. I was always amazed at how well they got along and I felt fortunate. At night, after all were nicely tucked in bed and I turned off the light, sometimes the famous TV ad would come to my mind "Do you know where your children are right now?" and I felt blessed that we were all under the same roof, safe and sound. I had never thought about what her middle sister had told me the day of the wedding: "Mommy, have you thought that after the wedding festivities are finished, she will be moving so far away from us?" Wow! Five years seemed like an eternity. Her husband would be starting his medical residency, thousands of miles away. While gathering the final items in the room, and that big number 5 still resonating in my head, I thought about my parents too, how they must have felt when I left their home. Well, I changed into my tough mode, realizing this is just another stage in life. Even though I think parents never cease to be parents, yes, our children come of age, the cycle continues and we have to let them grow their own wings. If they do, we must consider our job well done.

As John Lennon said, "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans." The famous five years have come to an end. After mission acomplished, several great friendships made and a baby boy who brings so much joy to their life, the young bride who moved so far away is now closer. Her husband has been posted for a couple of years to this area and I am thrilled that they would be able to visit us more often. They are living three hours away, and I was just there this past week. Their baby is now a toddler, who is very musical, alert and funny. I think of them tonight and send them many mother blessings!

3 comments:

Susie said...

Beautiful!!!

alicia said...

I agree! Beautiful!!!

bonmariage said...

All together now. . .beautiful! Love you :)